cold weather and warm emotions
Wednesday, December 21, 2005
Ive noticed on a few occasions that a numbing of the flesh, brought on by cold, can numb the intellect as well. Tonight my emotions were warmed by a film, a film that explores love, but as I retreated into the backyard to face a cold reality, accompanied only by a cigarette, I realized that those emotions and the thoughts that accompany them, can flee the cold.
My heart explores the memories of love while my body fights them at the onset of sub freezing temperatures. I even tossed the burning cigarette into flammable shrubs knowing that the cold would overcome the heat of one insignificant spark.
Is it always so with our emotions? Can they be overcome by a cold, mortal, unforgiving reality? What does this mean for myths related to "one love"? What does the intellect's weaknesses have that enables it to defend against a society that governs love? Too many differences in culture, language, class, and national loyalty drive societies apart, while more importantly, they split lovers asunder into pieces that no one can reestablish.
Implicit arguments (perhaps the result of my fascination with literature) are more explicit than overt explicity. Does anyone else feel the same? Am I alone in my world, a world defined through a repudiation of logos. I fear that logocentricity binds us together in unhappiness, or better, that it captivates us, in prisons of missed experience and opportunity.
Monsters abound, and at their onset most flee. I wish to persevere their presence in my feeble effort to overcome their weaponry, all from a fleeting hope to establish a life worth remembering.
My heart explores the memories of love while my body fights them at the onset of sub freezing temperatures. I even tossed the burning cigarette into flammable shrubs knowing that the cold would overcome the heat of one insignificant spark.
Is it always so with our emotions? Can they be overcome by a cold, mortal, unforgiving reality? What does this mean for myths related to "one love"? What does the intellect's weaknesses have that enables it to defend against a society that governs love? Too many differences in culture, language, class, and national loyalty drive societies apart, while more importantly, they split lovers asunder into pieces that no one can reestablish.
Implicit arguments (perhaps the result of my fascination with literature) are more explicit than overt explicity. Does anyone else feel the same? Am I alone in my world, a world defined through a repudiation of logos. I fear that logocentricity binds us together in unhappiness, or better, that it captivates us, in prisons of missed experience and opportunity.
Monsters abound, and at their onset most flee. I wish to persevere their presence in my feeble effort to overcome their weaponry, all from a fleeting hope to establish a life worth remembering.

Post a Comment << Home